AVAILABLE: SEPTEMBER - JUNE
Greatest tall ship adventure for young people
The only thing better than going on the Leeuwin is going on it twice! — Joseph (16)
We guarantee you that you will make new friends, feel more confident and develop new skills which you will find useful at school, at work or with peers.
The week-long voyages depart and arrive predominantly from Fremantle Port. However the ship can travel to Shark Bay in the North and Albany in the South.
A day on board
We run a working ship, so during the voyage you will be part of a whole heap of hands-on activities, from:
- Navigating the ship and taking the helm
- Setting and furling the sails
- Climbing the masts and working aloft
- Standing watch while sailing through the night
Weather conditions, watch roster and ship positioning affects the schedule so there is never a dull moment.
During the last full day of the voyage it’s over to you. Together, you’ll nominate a ship’s crew from within your teams – who has shown leadership, team management and capability? It could be you. Test your knowledge and skills and work together to chart the ship’s course to a new anchorage.
Who is it for?
Youth Explorer Voyages are designed for young people aged from 14 to 25. Older participants with a sense of adventure can also apply, but for you we recommend the Open Adventure voyage.
Previous sailing experience is not required, but an enthusiasm to try something new and a willingness to have an adventure you’ll remember forever are essential!
Where do we go?
The Captain will head out of the harbour and pick the best direction for sailing due to wind and weather conditions. Your parents can track the ships position at www.marinetraffic.com and follow along at home.
Southern Spirit, Abrolhos Adventure and Coral Coast Challenge
These voyages are all Youth Explorer voyages, and will run exactly the same as our week-long program. The best bit? The destination of each. Visit Albany, Geraldton or Monkey Mia.
It’s good to note that we can’t guarantee a day trip at the Abrolhos or Coral Coast, but we will definitely call by and include some activities about the area. Costs are the same, but the difference is all in the destination.
A quick reference guide is:
1901 and 1902 – Southern Spirit
1908 and 1911 – Abrolhos Adventure
1909 – Coral Coast Challenge
All voyages require you to complete a form. We will assess it, before confirming that you can join the voyage of your choice.
To facilitate the processing of your sponsorship application, here are few important tips:
- Forms are in PDF format and can be filled and send to us without printing them, using the free Acrobat Reader app: download it here.
- Make sure to download the application form on your desktop, and open it using Acrobat Reader, before filling it in. Viewing the form in your browser won’t allow you to sign it off and submit!
- Don’t take and email a photo of your application or take the risk that it gets blocked as spam!
- Rename your application file adding your name (Example: CBH Application 2018 – Jenny Smith).
- Write your name in the subject line of your email when sending your application.
- Expect a response from us within 2 weeks. If you don’t, please contact us.
In addition to our Youth Explorer participant bookings we offer full charters or group bookings. We can tailor a Tall Ships Adventures voyage just for your group! Please email the office to express your interest and request a quote.
FROM OUR PREVIOUS ADVENTURERS!
The Leeuwin has taught me to be more empathetic. It has shown me the importance of teamwork and leadership, how there cannot be one without the other, and it taught me the importance of hard work to achieve whatever goal you have.
“Jack still hasn't stopped smiling. We can see changes in his thinking and actions that reflect directly on his experience with the Leeuwin. Our eternal thanks.”