WHEN: 4 - 10 June 2018
DEPARTS: Monkey Mia
Our Open Adventurer is a voyage aimed 18 years and above, but for those who are still a big kid at heart. We often have adults asking about sailing opportunities, and this is it!
Travel along Western Australia’s historical coastline where the Zuytdorp and Batavia once sailed, on the STS Leeuwin II. Sailing enthusiasts of all ages are invited to step onboard for an unforgettable experience.
The voyage includes:
- 7 day sail which starts in the Shark Bay World Heritage Area
- Pass through the Abrolhos Islands on a 1850’s Barquentine style ship
- A hands-on tall ship experience
- On board meals, wet weather gear and climbing equipment
- Learn about Malgana culture and Aboriginal history from Gatharagudu (Shark Bay) local
- Hear about the trade routes of both the Batavia and the Zuytdorp
- Transport options from Perth available
- A once in a life-time opportunity!
We run a working ship, so during the voyage you will be part of hands-on activities, from:
- Navigating the ship and taking the helm
- Setting and furling the sails
- Climbing the masts and working aloft
- Standing watch while sailing through the night
Whether you are a university student looking to further your work-ready skills, or a mature age sailor who loves to meet new people – this voyage will bring a little magic to your year. Why not try something a little different – we dare you!
Go back in time and read tales on the history of this coastline with The Carpet of Silver by Philip Playford and Island of Angry Ghosts by Hugh Edwards.
2018 Voyages - See this schedule
FROM OUR PREVIOUS ADVENTURERS!
"Having completed the Open Adventure from Shark Bay last week I found all volunteers and watch leaders incredibly compentant and pleasant to work with. No commercial cruise ship would have a person of his calibre on board."
“Great Captain, fantastic crew, beautiful ship”